WHERE DO YOU STAND IN THE SUPPLEMENT DEBATE?
- “Supplements are great! They allow me to get the nutrients my body needs while I get to eat French fries and donuts!”
- “Supplements are not natural, therefore I will not use them”
- “Supplements can pay a key role in helping you be at your best.”
I hope you fall in category 3, but if you don’t, read anyways, I may change your mind.
WHY YOU NEED SUPPLEMENTS
So you’re eating a nutrient-dense diet with loads of variety? That’s great, but you still need supplements. Why? Our modern society is completely misaligned with our biology. We can adapt to a certain extent, but we are beginning to push out limits. Everything around us is influencing our need for supplementation.
- Growing older? Nutrient absorption declines with age.
- Exercising? Exercise increases your need for certain nutrients.
- Stressed? Check out THIS POST.
- Traveling? Flying on planes messes us up guys. Are we going to stop flying? Haha. Thanks COVID-19! But supplementation is a critical way to combat the free radical damage caused by air travel.
- What about the nutrient depletion of our soil? Our foods are half of what they used to be.
- Not sleeping well? It could be due to a nutrient deficiency.
- Even the wifi signal in the room and the computer screen you are staring at now are interfering with critical cellular processes in our bodies and disrupting cellular communication, thus increasing the demand for nutrients.
Ensure you are eating a nutrient dense diet before you start tossing 50 pills per day down your throat. Your body wants to utilize nutrients from food when possible, but sometimes our bodies do not extract certain nutrients effectively. Your genetics can indicate this to some extent, but working with a physician is the only sure way to know your nutrient status and utilize precision supplementation. Stay tuned to Tolleson Health for a new way to test for all sorts of things, with instant results, using no blood, urine, or saliva! I am going to open this opportunity up for anyone, so keep checking back…
WHAT NOT TO TAKE
We are ALL different and ALL require different things. It isn’t so much a question of what not to take as it is making sure the “bad guys” aren’t in your supplements. For the sake of time and being concise, check your supplement labels for these “other ingredients” that you want to steer clear of:
- Artificial colors and dyes
- Magnesium Stearate
- Sodium Benzoate
- Titanium Dioxide
MY TOP 5 SUPPLEMENTS
Please, please, please…I am not a doctor. I am not anyone you should take medical advise from. Before using any supplements, consult with your physician.
- Vitamin D
- We just don’t spend enough time outside, not compared to our ancestors. A huge percentage of our country is deficient here. (Take it in liquid form, and get vitamin K2 and/or vitamin A simultaneously)
- How often are you eating the tendons, ligaments, and skin of the animals you consume? Drinking bone broth? Are you vegan? We like our meat tender and this means we are missing out on some of the goodness. Collagen is the most abundant protein in your body. And yes, supplementing with it works.
- Who wants help with inflammation, weight-loss, and protection from DNA damage? I do! There is so much around us that in contributing to chronic inflammation, so take all the help you can get.
- This one comes in many different forms. Each form serves a different purpose. Magnesium is a vital part of energy production, catalyzing chemical reaction in the body, transmitting nerve signals, synthesizing protein and DNA, relaxing muscles, regulating blood glucose, and detoxification. I’m am all in for killing 7 birds with one stone.
- Methylated B vitamins
- Methylation is complicated. Think of your body as a machine with hundreds of interlocking gears that need to turn to keep running efficiently. Methylation is the process that turns the gears on and allows them to run. Methylated B vitamins support the methylation process.
Good question. I DO take a multi-vitamin. Keep in mind that multi-vitamins are not specifically formulated for you. There are some really, really bad ones out there. But, there are a few good ones. I currently use the Thorne Multi Elite. I also, and you may decide to go this route, use Athletic Greens daily as my “insurance policy” to ensure I am covering all my bases.
WHAT ABOUT THAT DISCOUNT?
If you want access to 20% off all Thorne products EVERY SINGLE TIME you order: Use code TOLLESON20 at checkout!
If you want access to 30% off your first month using Persona, take the assessment using my personalized link.