YOUR METABOLIC HEALTH IS THE KEY PREDICTOR FOR ALMOST ALL CHRONIC DISEASES, EVEN AMONG THOSE WHO ARE AT A NORMAL WEIGHT.
So what is metabolic health?
Metabolic health means having ideal levels of blood sugar, triglycerides, high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, blood pressure, and waist circumference, without using medications. These factors directly relate to a person’s risk for heart disease, diabetes, and stroke. And notice how I didn’t use the word “weight.”
We HAVE to start thinking about metabolic health as more than just how much we weigh. Having said that, weight does have something to do with it.
Participants who are obese usually have the worst metabolic health, with just 0.5 percent achieving optimal metabolic health. However, less than half of those who were underweight and less than a third of participants with normal weights had optimal metabolic health. Remember, that is having ideal blood sugar, triglycerides, HDL cholesterol, blood pressure, and waist circumference.
Now, just to be clear, I am not a doctor. I cannot rightfully diagnose you with anything, but I do have a very deep understanding of how daily habits, routines, and moment by moment choices are impacting your chances of achieving optimal metabolic health, and really just your chances of feeling freakin awesome every single day.
WONDERING IF YOU ARE METABOLICALLY HEALTHY? TAKE THIS QUIZ TO FIND OUT!
Let’s focus on blood sugar.
It is sad just how few people in our country actually have control over their blood sugar levels. Even those who are trying to eat “healthy” have a hard time. How do I know this? Because I have experienced it myself. I was 100% dedicated to my health. I was taking all the supplements, eating kale salads every day for lunch, juicing fresh greens twice daily, and eating home-cooked dinners with a lean cut of meat and 2-3 sides of organic veggies. Now, don’t get the wrong impression, these ARE healthy foods. That’s not what I am saying.
I began wearing a continuous blood glucose monitor to learn more about what my blood sugar levels do throughout the day. What did I learn? I don’t have enough words on this page to list everything, but here are a few examples:
- My morning fasted blood glucose was CRAZY high.
- Me and oatmeal are not friends. 🙁
- My fresh, organic juices were not doing me any favors, even without fruit in them.
- I can keep my glucose between 70-100 mg/dL all day long if I withhold higher carbohydrate foods until dinner.
- Eating an entire large pizza for dinner keeps me under 100 mg/dL, but for lunch throws me over 150 mg/dL with a quick crash! (I am not recommending pizza all the time. It’s so good though, right?!)
- Apple cider vinegar first thing in the morning pulls my fasting glucose down as much as 20 mg/dL.
- I get the most deep sleep and REM sleep when my blood sugar levels stay between 65-80 mg/dL all night long, versus falling below 65 mg/dL.
10 ways to take action on your metabolic health.
- Intermittent fasting
- Eliminate ALL sugar (even when it’s cleverly disguised)
- Decrease the frequency of your hour long elliptical ride and lift some weights.
- Get some movement in first thing in the morning.
- Sit to eat and stand or walk after meals.
- Get at least 7 hours of sleep per night.
- Make yourself cold. Try cold-plunging, cryotherapy, cold showers, or just going outside when its cold in shorts!
- Reduce your stress. Easier said than done, but consider breath work and meditation.
- Buy something to test your blood glucose, or even better, ask your doctor to prescribe you a continuous blood glucose monitor.
- Try some all-natural blood sugar regulators like Paleovalley’s Apple Cider Vinegar, Kion Lean, or Thorne’s Berberine 500. Fill this out if you want 20% off ALL Thorne supplements every time you order.
My hope is that you take something away this week that you WILL take action on. It SHOULD NOT be complicated, but that doesn’t mean that it’s easy. I understand this, which is why clients choose to partner with me to be there with them every single step of the way. Curious what your path to metabolic health looks like? BOOK A FREE HEALTH BREAKTHROUGH SESSION with me and we can spend 30 minutes mapping it out.